Teaching Skills and Methodology
Course Category: Education | Level 1 Course
Course Code: EDU 101
Instructor: Ustadha Safiyyah Salaam
Duration: 14 weeks
Course Dates: September 17 - December 8, 2023
Time: 8:30 - 9:30 am CST
Daylight savings time will end in the United States on Sunday, November 5, 2023. Depending on where you live, this may or may not affect your class timing. In countries where DST is not applied at all, class will be one hour later starting November 5.
This introductory level course provides aspiring and veteran teachers opportunities to learn and practice effective teaching strategies for students enrolled in Islamic Studies programs. During this course we will examine components of skillful teaching including deep learning, lesson planning, classroom management, nurturing the Prophetic model of emotional and moral intelligence, assessment, professionalism, and upbringing within an Islamic framework. Students will be expected to complete a midterm and final along with one course project.
- Designed in an easy to follow format.
- Interactive Q&A
- Recordings available until end of term
- Based on the aqida of Ahl al-Sunnah wa al-Jama'a.
Live attendance is recommended whenever possible for the best learning experience. Recordings of the sessions will be made available for registered students who cannot attend live.
Students will have access to course forums, recordings, and files until January 15, 2024.
Students should be women above the age of 17.
Students are expected to attend the online lectures, complete one or more weekly assignments, complete a book report, and submit a final reflective essay exam.
This is an online course so students will need:
- Access to internet with an internet speed of at least 2 Mbps recommended for best performance.
- Headphones, camera and microphone may be required for in-class participation.
- To access the live class and recordings, students will need a computer, smartphone, or tablet/iPad with the Zoom app.
Required: With the Heart in Mind: The Moral and Emotional Intelligence of the Prophet, by Mikaeel Ahmed Smith.
Recommended: Deep Learning: Engage the world change the world, 1st edition, by Michael Fullan, Joanne Quinn, and Joanne McEachen.
Students are responsible for ordering their textbooks before the start of class. Ribaat textbooks are available to enrolled students at a discounted rate through Rabata Bookshop. Once enrolled, students will have access to the discount code through the course forum.
Registration Fee: Non-refundable, non-transferable
- $125.00 (not including the cost of the course materials)
- $20.00 late registration fee on September 8th (if seats are available)
- Additional $5.00 auditing fee.
Before enrolling, please read the Registration Fees & Policies. Then choose one of the registration options below.
Contact: For inquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org