Course Category: Tafsir | Level 4 Course
Course Code: TAF 401
Instructor: Anse Dahlia Kasswani
Duration: 14 weeks
Course Dates: Sept. 15 - Dec. 15, 2021
Time: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm CST
Live attendance is recommended whenever possible for the best learning experience. Recordings of the sessions will be made available for registered students who cannot attend live.
Daylight savings time will end in the United States on Sunday, November 7, 2021. Depending on where you live, this may or may not affect your class timing. In countries where DST is not applied at all, class will be one hour later starting November 7.
- Students should be women above the age of 17.
- Successful completion of all Ribaat Level 1 and Level 2 Core course.
- Successful completion of Arabic Level 2 or equivalent knowledge.
- Successful completion of TAF 301 and TAF 302.
- Successful completion of at least one Ribaat elective.
In this course, we will identify the thematic division of each Surah while focusing on certain topics and their historical background in relation to the revelation of each Surah. We will concentrate on certain revelations that shaped the lives and the identity of the early Muslim community and try to apply to modern Muslim issues. Additionally, student will become familiar with key vocabulary and terms.
This course is part 1 of a 4-part course that takes students on an in-depth journey to understanding the Quran over 2 years.
Course Requirements: Students are expected to attend the online lectures, complete one or more weekly assignments, complete a term paper, submit a midterm and a final exam.
This is an online course so students will need:
- Access to internet with an internet speed of at least 2 Mbps recommended for best performance.
- Headphones, camera and microphone may be required for in-class participation.
- To access the live class and recordings, students will need a computer, smartphone, or tablet/iPad with the Zoom app.
Registration Fee: Non-refundable, non-transferable
Students will have access to course forums, recordings, and files until January 12th, 2022.
- $200.00 (not including the cost of the course materials)
- $20.00 late registration fee after September 10th (if seats are available)
- Auditing is not available for this course
Text: Tafsir ibn Kathir
Students are responsible for ordering their textbooks before the start of class. Ribaat textbooks are available to enrolled students at a discounted rate through Daybreak Press Global Bookshop. Once enrolled, students will have access to the discount code through the course forum.
Contact: For inquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration Options: Before enrolling, please read the Registration Fees & Policies. Then choose one of the registration options below.