Training the Tongue, Purifying the Heart
Course Category: Purification | Level 1 Course
Course Code: PUR 101
Instructor: Anse Marah Dahman
Duration: 14 weeks
Course Dates: January 17 - May 8, 2023
Time: 8:00 - 9:30 pm CST
Daylight savings time will begin in the United States on Sunday, March 12, 2023. Depending on where you live, this may or may not affect your class timing. In countries where DST is not applied at all, class will be one hour earlier starting March 12.
An introduction to the concept of tazkiyah, or purification of the self/heart in Islam. It is a beginning look at diseases of the heart and sins of the tongue as well as the relationship between the two. Students will learn some general cures and understand some of the skills necessary to improve relationships with others and with Allah (swt).
What will be covered:
- Diseases of the heart: Anger, Rancor, Envy, Ostentation, Miserliness, Vanity & Arrogance
- Means of Purification
- Realization of the diseases
- Prohibitions of the Tongue
- Reflection on Relationships
Get ANSWERS to questions like:
- How do I know which diseases of the heart I have?
- What are the practical solutions to fix them?
- How do I interact with those around me without allowing my diseases to interfere?
- Designed in an easy to follow format.
- Interactive Q&A
- 11 one-hour live classes
- Recordings available until end of term
- Based on the aqida of Ahl al-Sunnah wa al-Jama'a.
Live attendance is recommended whenever possible for the best learning experience. Recordings of the sessions will be made available for registered students who cannot attend live.
Students will have access to course forums, recordings, and files until June 18, 2023.
Students should be women above the age of 17.
Students are expected to attend the online lectures, complete one or more weekly assignments, complete a term paper, and submit a final exam.
This is an online course so students will need:
- Access to internet with an internet speed of at least 2 Mbps recommended for best performance.
- Headphones, camera and microphone may be required for in-class participation.
- To access the live class and recordings, students will need a computer, smartphone, or tablet/iPad with the Zoom app.
Text: The Marvels of the Heart, by al-Ghazali, translated by Walter James Skellie.
Students are responsible for ordering their textbooks before the start of class. Ribaat textbooks are available to enrolled students at a discounted rate through Rabata Bookshop. Once enrolled, students will have access to the discount code through the course forum.
Registration Fee: Non-refundable, non-transferable
- $125.00 (not including the cost of the course materials)
- $20.00 late registration fee on January 14th (if seats are available)
- Additional $5.00 auditing fee.
Before enrolling, please read the Registration Fees & Policies. Then choose one of the registration options below.
Contact: For inquiries, contact email@example.com